Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Anniversary of My Return

Today marks the 2-year anniversary of my return to New York.  It's been a bittersweet experience to say the least.  It's been two years since I made the decision to return back to my home town, and pursue my career as an author full-time.  I honestly DON'T regret that decision, despite the ups and MANY downs that I've gone through over the past two years.  I like my freedom to pursue my passion, and achieve my dreams.  I've always wanted to live off of my creative talents, and I'm doing just that.

It was ten years ago that I packed up, and moved out of NYC.  I needed a break.  I wasn't struggling, I wasn't surviving.....I just existed.  I got up...went to my crummy job...busted my ass at work...came home, and crashed.  That's no life to live.  I wasn't pursuing my dream of working in film and television, nor was I happy about the state of activism in the city at that time.  I saw the handwriting on the wall, and just said, "PEACE OUT!!!"  I don't regret leaving; I seriously needed that change at that point in my life.  I was able to achieve a lot on my own, and outside of NYC.  I doubt that I would've reached any of the goals that I've reached since my departure, nor would I have accomplished what I have as an activist or writer, had I stayed in NYC.

I left 10 years ago to better myself.  I'm considering leaving again.  I'll most likely go back to the Mid Atlantic; it's strategically convenient as far as my plans as a writer are concerned.  I have a good number of connections in that region, and it's still accessible to New York.  I may not want to live here anymore, but the city (and state for that matter) has a lot of resources.  Hopefully, I can be out of here, and relocate by the late summer/fall.

So, here's to my anniversary.  Here's to better things to come down the pipeline.  May I continue to grow, and my career take the positive path that I intended for it.  Please continue to support me, and I look forward to continuing to inspire, and impress.

Uhuru sase, y paz.  Keep the fist raised.



No comments:

Post a Comment