Thursday, September 24, 2015

AFTERMATH: Big Literary Weekend

It too me a while ot get around to writing this.  This is actually quite a positive post.

I had a really good weekend, this past weekend that just passed from the 18th to the 20th.  I was able to hook up with some literary contacts that I had, and involve myself in some activities that were going on around here.  Considering the string of bad luck and misery that I'd been going through lately, I would say that this good fortune was much deserved.

I was able to hook up (at the last minute) with my peoples at the Caribbean Cultural Theatre, an organization that focuses primarily on Caribbean-American and Caribbean authors/poets based in the United States.  I know the founder/organizer personally, and we have been in contact with each other for a few years now (primarily through the internet).  When I finally moved back home, was when we finally got the chance to meet each other in person.  Anyway....I knew ahead of time that they were supposed to be having a "bookend" event on Friday, the 18th; a literary event leading up top the Brooklyn Book Festival on Sunday, the 20th.  I wasn't even sure if I was going to be able to attend either event due to my serious lack of funds.  That's when the brother offered me the opportunity to work as a volunteer at his event.  (It helped that he offered to compensate me for my services).

Of course...I jumped at the chance to help.

I basically worked as a "gofer" for his event on Friday (go for this...go for that, lol, lol).  I actually had a lot of fun, when I wasn't running around like a mad man.  I got to enjoy the program, and not have to pay to attend.  it reminded me of back when I used to volunteer for some Black film festivals in NYC in my younger days.  It also helped that i knew a few of the authors that were there participating in the event.

The big one was on Sunday, the Brooklyn Book Festival.  I helped to man the booth for the Caribbean Cultural Theatre, which was shared by two other organizations representing Caribbean authors; Read Jamaica (obviously based out of Jamaica), and Caribbean Reads (based in St. Kitts/Nevis).  I had a lot of fun, and really enjoyed interacting with the attendees in the crowd.  We signed up a good number of people to the CCT Mailing List, as well as selling a number of books by the associated authors.  I even snuck a few of my own titles in there, and sold a copy.  ;)

So, the weekend ended very well for me.  My spirits have been renewed, and being that the Autumnal Equinox has just passed, a renewed sense of purpose has filled my being.  I hope that this bodes well for my future plans at relocation as well.  I am now refocused, and charging ahead.   

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment