Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Literary Progress So Far......

So "Fiesta Girl" (Draft2digital, 2018) has been on the market for about two weeks now.  The sales are as I expected them to be....

.......Utterly dismal.

I created a Facebook event for it....created an email e-blast campaign for it....tagged a bunch of people with the link once it was finally published, aaaaaaaannnnnnnnd......

...absolutely NOTHING!!!!  Just my sister, and one sister/comrade purchased a copy.  Oh...a few people clicked the 'like' button, as usual.  But as far as purchases and downloads are concerned...?

Nada.

Yeah....so that's my literary career in a nutshell.

Makes me just want to delist all of my shit, and just throw in the towel.

I don't believe in that whole 'just-write-for-yourself' bullshit.  If that was the case, then why the hell bother going through the trouble of publishing your book/novel, and bringing your work to market then?!  I might as well just write it up, go to Kinkos or Staples to print out a copy for myself, and call it a day.  Why go through all that extra headache of trying to promote and market your work, then?  Especially if you are independently published, or self-published?!

I have a lot of stories to tell, and I want to tell them.  I've been a storyteller for a VERY long time.  what's the point then, if people seem to not want to hear them?!  Even when I tell people that I'm a published author, they seem unimpressed.  Ummm...how many published authors do YOU know?!?!  Especially someone who has written multiple books....?  I don't do that out of arrogance; damn it, it's what I do for a fucking living!  I know plenty of mf who claim to be rappers, or singers....even poets.  Actual published authors/writers....?  Not so much....not unless I'm traveling within those circles.

I would understand if I was wack, and had no talent.  I've gotten plenty of positive feedback from my work.  Even during  my days as an indie screen writer, people have complimented my work.  I have the gift and the skill...just not the support.

STOP pressing the 'like' button, and START supporting the work!  And it's NOT just me...I know PLENTY of my fellow creative artists who are suffering through the same thing.  Y'all can go out and frivolously spend your money with these commercial entities for shit that you don't need, but when any of us indies creates something and asks....no...BEGS for your support, you look at us with some stupid look on your face, and say dumb shit like, "You shouldn't/can't try to shame me into supporting you", or "How do/can I support you?".

Does Samsung have to tell you how you can  support them whenever they drop some new electronic device?  Does Nike have to tell you how to support them whenever they drop a new sneaker?  Does Hewlett Packard have to tell you how to support them whenever they drop a new computer?  Does Sega or Nintendo when they drop their latest gaming system?

But, I digress.....

Learn to support us.  You can run out, and support some commercial entity that's part of the machine, but you can't seem to support any of us on the independent front?

No wonder they just tell you to just get a job, smdh....

No comments:

Post a Comment