Thursday, December 4, 2014

Juan Flores (1943-2014)

This blog is dedicated to a dear friend and mentor of mine, Juan Flores.  Juan is/was a scholar, author, and activist, being the co-founder and co-director of the Afrolatin@ Forum.  I've been fortunate enough to have had interactions with him, and be able to consider him my friend.

Juan passed away on the morning of Tuesday, December 2nd.  I checked my email that afternoon, and saw the e-blast sent out by his organization about his passing.  I was both stunned and hurt, having just seen him this past October at the Forum's Afrolatin@s Now! Conference, and having had the opportunity to talk to him.  I was lucky enough to see him a few times this past summer at other Forum related events, and get to share some laughs and quality time with him.  I felt better about seeing him, now that I was permanently back in NYC.  This would give me the opportunity to, not only come out and support the Forum more, but also to work with him on any other projects that they were doing, or that I would like to do with them jointly.

This is a deep loss for me; I don't have too many people out there that I can truly count on as friends and comrades in the struggle.  There are actually VERY few of us out there that are truly dedicated to instituting change, and fighting for the cause.  I especially liked Juan because he is/was a very warm, friendly, and personable type of personality.  I never felt like he was ever talking down to me, or that he didn't respect my opinion or ideological persuasion because of my age.  I don't really get that from a lot of older people, especially those that want to claim the status of 'elder' in the community.  To be considered an elder is a right that needs to be earned, not given just because you've reached a certain age.  Juan was truly an elder in my eyes, and was just as vibrant as any youthful activist.

So, this is deeply dedicated to my dear friend Juan Flores.  May you rest in power in the ancestral plane, and may I make you happy with all of my achievements and accomplishments.

Libertad ahora!!!
Uhuru sase, y paz

(Miriam Jimenez Roman <his wife>, myself, and Juan Flores; Baltimore, 2011)



 (Juan at the recent Afrolatin@s Now! Conference in 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment