Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Signing & Lecture: The Aftermath



It finally came and went, my big day.  I was able to FINALLY hold my very first book signing.  It was a bit of an error on my part the first time around when I got published.  I attended a few events and was able to vend at a few festivals, but never quite got around to actually having a lone event to promote my work.  With publishing the second book, I wanted to correct that mistake this time around.

I was able to get to Wisdom Book Center the night before, and helped Bro. Tehuti (the owner) set up the store in the seating arraignment that I envisioned.  He was actually quite impressed with the set up; I had my back to his inventory on the bookshelves, and had all of the seats facing me.  That way, while I'm speaking about my book, they can also see what he has in stock at his store, and also want to purchase something from him along with my own book(s).  That way, we both win; it will gain him some new customers that will want to come back.  I saw that same setup once on C-SPAN, on a program that they have called Book TV.  I always did want to try that set up....

The big day came (February 11th), and I arrived a good 45 minutes early.  I was able to set up my MiniDV video camera, chilled out a bit with Bro. Tehuti, and just waited for the people to come.

They were late...by almost an hour!  CP time, man...CP time....
People who told me that they were going to show up...didn't.
...OR they came really late.
Smh....

Since the event was three hours, I was going to spend the first hour and a half speaking.  Since the folks came late, I cut it down to 45 minutes.  The attendees were tardy, and it wasn't a packed house by any means...but it went GREAT!

I was able to provide a lot of information to my audience, I was able to get my points and views across.  Hell, I was even able to answer some audience questions both during and after my lecture.  I felt really good about it, and felt like I was able to really accomplish my goals.

Afterwards, I was able to sign and sell a number of my books.  I decided to stay past the 3pm deadline, with Bro. Tehuti's blessing.  It was a great day for both of us.  I felt very proud of myself, and was thankful to the brother for allowing me this opportunity to use his space.  I look forward to doing more book signings; not only at brother Tehuti's establishment, but at other locations as well.  Right now, I'm trying to set up book signings in DC, and in my hometown of New York City.  Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment