Saturday, November 12, 2011

Solidarity and the Sexes: Does it Exist?

I've had some recent experiences that make me ask this question.  It's been bothering me for quite some time now....

I remember back a number of years ago, I'd have to say about five years, that I remember a particular experience that this situation reminds me of.  I was still living in NYC, working at a condo in Manhattan at the time.  I had just gotten off work, pulling one of my graveyard shifts that I worked at that time.  I wanted to enter one of my screenplays into one of the local Black film festivals; they were holding a screenplay competition with the rest of their festival.  I felt that my chances were good, and that the concept of the script was pretty strong.  I decide to make copies of it, and mail it out on my next free day.

I get home from work, change my clothes, and head to the local Staples that was close to the house where I was living.  Normally, I would try to go a a Black-owned business, but unfortunately, none of the local Black print shops made bound copies for bulk documents.  Anyway...I made it to Staples with my script in tow.  I waited on line so that I could be serviced.  Ahead of me, this young sista was being tended to by the Service Rep (also a sista) behind the desk.  Quite obviously, she was trying to apply for a job.  I patiently waited, watching the two women interact with each other.  It actually brought a smile out of me, being able to witness some sisterly solidarity among my people, especially when it comes to finding employment.  The Sales Rep was giving the young sista pointers, telling her the ins and outs of Staples' application process, even letting her know which stores that she should apply to because she knew first hand that they had vacancies open.

After a few minutes, they wrapped up their business, and the young sista left.  I step up in line, still smiling after watching their exchange, feeling proud to have witnessed my people working together in a positive manner.  The Rep turns to me, frowns, and responds with an attitude, "May I help you?!"

?????????

WTF?!?!?!?!

I had to pause.  That really caught me off guard.  I had stood there patiently, not making a nuisance of myself, not even becoming aggravated for having to wait.  I had even pulled out my script from my book bag, just so that I wouldn't waste anyone else's time who was also on line.  Considering that I had just finished being up all night, I wasn't in a crab ass mood.  Then this chick wants to hit me with an attitude...and for what?!

My response?  I slapped my script down on the counter (134 pages), and sternly replied, "Two copies...bound".

Obviously, she was shocked.  You can tell that she was embarrassed by my reaction. I wasn't there to hit on her, or beg for a job that she felt I probably didn't deserve.  I was there for business....period.  She got to work printing up the two copies of my script, asking me questions as to my needs, trying to make up for the way she initially treated me.  I wasn't having none of it.  I just gave her very direct, one-word answers.  She printed up my copies, bound them up, and handed them to me.  I paid for my copies, and was seriously ghost afterwards.

That's not the first time that I've had experiences like that.  I often hear women, especially sisters, complaining about the ill treatment that they receive from men in the street.  Of course, I hear a strange silence from them when men complain about ill treatment that they receive from women that was totally uncalled for.  If you weren't approached or treated in a disrespectful manner...then what the fuck is with the damn attitude?!?!?!

If we are unable to get along with each other, then our people are doomed.  If brothers and sisters can't cordially interact with each other, then we will cease to exist as a people in a few short years.  It's bad enough that we have to deal with the Black-on-Black violence that's pervasive in our communities; when the sexes can't even get along with each other, we'll NEVER be able to move forward as a people.

Even out here in Baltimore, I get annoyed when I'm walking into a business, and the sisters that work there act like they can't even speak to you.  Of course, that could also mean that the young people here just have piss poor customer service skills, but that's another matter for another day.

What say you all?

No comments:

Post a Comment