Thursday, August 4, 2016

Poets & Passion, A Carribean Literary Lime: Emancipated Voices



On August 3rd, the Caribbean Cultural Theatre presented their latest installment of their series "Poets & Passion, a Caribbean Literary Lime".  The theme for this event was "Emancipated Voices", considering that this year marks 50 years that a number of the island have been free and independent.  You were graced by the poetry and literary minds of Samantha Thornhill, Vladimir Lucien, and Tiphane Yanique, speaking on the campus of Medgar Evers College.

Since I don't live too far from the campus, I was lucky enough to be able to attend the event.  It was well attended, and the speakers DID NOT disappoint.  All of them read from their respective books of poetry, and we were graced with a short panel discussion and Q&A afterward.  Their individual works were all available for sale at the event, both before and after they spoke.  Having been a featured panelist/participant in a past Lime, I needed to come out and support my fellow writers/artists.  Plus, I have not been able to enjoy myself as of late, and felt the need to come out, and have my face seen.  It was also good, because I got to see a few people that I haven't seen in a while, due to my financial struggles.

I hope to be able to make it out to more events like this.  I'm still plugging away with the promotion of my own works, as well as focusing on relocating.  If I'm not going to be appreciated here in NYC, might as well find someplace else where my work will be.  ANYTHING is better than struggling like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment