Saturday, January 5, 2013

Django Unchained--My Two Cents

There has been much uproar about the Quentin Tarantino film titled "Django Unchained", set during the period of slavery in the United States.  Much of this uproars has been taking place on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.  Those that are for and against this movie have publicly aired their views and concerns about it.

My own feelings about this?  I won't go out to see it.

Firstly, I can't stand Tarantino as a filmmaker.  I think that he's a hack.  Reservoir Dogs was entertainingly ultra violent, but that was about it.  I haven't been impressed with his other films since.  Imho, I think that he does what's already been done by other filmmakers before him, and makes up some line about paying homage to such-and-such director because they have been such a huge influence on his career.  I find that to be utter laziness, and a complete cop out.  It gauls me even more because people (mainly movie goers) allow him to get away with that crap.

He also thinks that he has a ghetto pass when one has never been issued to him.  Why he gets support from the black community is beyond me....

Secondly, there are plenty of films being made by filmmakers in the Black and Latino communities that need/deserve our support, but aren't.  Having been part of the Black film festival circuit for five years, I'm disgusted that a good number of these wonderful films are completely overlooked and unsupported, but idiotic vitriol is made about films like Django Unchained, and people unabashedly go out of their way to support this crap.  When OUR filmmakers make quality dramatic films about us, we don't go out to support them.  But...let some white man do a film about us, and we come a-runnin' to the theaters talking about, "Ima support MY massa!  Yes suh, he gon' git MY money!".

Fuck Tarantino and his films! 

2 comments:

  1. Greetings, Kevin. I agree with you regarding the Black and Brown independent film needing Black and Brown support. I just wish they get out here to Northern California.

    Regarding Tarantino's movie, I loved the script; the witty dialogues. I would have gone to see it again if it were not for the unrealistic violence in the end; one one gunmen shooting up 15 armed killers, comes out without a scratch, kissing his woman under the moonlight.

    Anyway, if you know of such independent film heading out my way, please let me know.

    Bill Smith
    African American-Latino World
    www.ahorasecreto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bro. Bill!!!

    As far as ORGANIZED film festivals in NC, I don't know of any off hand. I know that they used to have a macrocinema networking outlet there during the late 90s and early part of the 2000s. But, there is a strong arts community out there trying to do their thing. They're just doing it individually.

    I'll do some additional research to see what's going on out there.

    LOVE your blog, btw.... :)

    ReplyDelete