Monday, June 25, 2012

LatinoFest 2012

So, this past weekend was LatinoFest here in Baltimore, MD.  It's the largest Latino event here in Baltimore, if not the state, celebrating it's 32nd annual festival.  I decided to go at the last minute; I actually had plans to go to another event out of town that same weekend, but those plans got scrapped (lack of money, no ride, etc.).

So....I threw on my colors, locked my door, and off I went.  Took the local Metro to John Hopkins Hospital, and then walked the rest of the way to Patterson Park.

Considering that it was my first time going to the park...it was a long walk.
...In the heat.
...and I wasn't very hydrated, or well fed before I left out.
Not very smart of me.

Anyway....

I made it to Patterson Park, paid my $5 entry fee, and started to make my rounds.  I had decided not to bring my books with me, since I didn't have a table at the festival, and I wasn't carrying much cash on me (I had a dollar left after I paid to get in).  The park is actually quite spacious, reminding me of some of the parks back home in NYC.

I must admit, I really had a good time.  It was quite fun; I just wish that I would have gone with a friend or two.  This was the first time that I had gone to a Latino event, living here in the South, and NOT have to feel on guard.  I actually felt love at the festival.  I actually had a few fellow Hondurans shout me out, and shake my hand.  Not all of them were Garifuna, but they gave me respect.  I even had a photographer take a picture of me.  =)

One thing that did surprise me...you had a good number of Puerto Ricans at the festival.  I didn't even know that they were that thick out here in Baltimore.  Most of the time, when discussing the Latino community out here in B'more, they always talk about Mexicanos.  I didn't even know that they had a large amount of Boricuas in B'more.  You learn something new every day....

One criticism (or should I say critique?) that I have of the festival, that I have with all Latino festivals; the lack of representation of our African roots.  Our African heritage always gets left out.  If they do have some sort of representation of our Africano roots, it's like ONE blasted token black act (usually a dance troupe, or a Capoeira school demonstrating their style).  They did have El Canario, Jose Alberto, performing at LatinoFest, but still, they needed more than just that (imho).  Then again, maybe he was fulfilling that 'token black act' role I was just talking about....

But...that's just my opinion....

All in all, I did enjoy the festival.  I got to chat with my boy Sam, who is a member of the organization that created LatinoFest; EBLO....Education Based Latino Outreach.  I got to see some foine looking ladies all day (and yes....I meant to spell the word that way!!!).  Got to see some other people that I know as well (shout out to Miguel and Angelo).  Even got to buy a Honduran soccer jersey and necklace (yes, my cheap ass broke down, and went to an onsite ATM).

Looking forward to their Baltimore County version of LatinoFest.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment